Working hard each and every day.

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Stolen Jackpot



This article surprised me. My teacher Ms.Crosbie brought this up in her blog and asked for our voices and opinions on this topic and I'm happy to share! It's one thing to have pocket change stolen from you but when someone steals 12.1 million dollars it's a completely different story. To sum it up, if you read the article you would realize that the person who had won the ticket was swapped for another. Meaning the clerk was free to run off with his 12.1 million dollar winnings for the true winner had no idea of the swap. Unfortunately the true winner hasn't been found but police and investigators are working hard to find him.

Now, my opinions...I would say that the clerk was extremely ungrateful for taking that kind of prize from an innocent person. The possibility of winning the lottery ( of any amount ) is said to be a 50/50 chance. Even then however people aren't as likely to win as much money as this person did in a normal one shot ticket. With that aside you can see how bad it truly was for the person who lost that kind of money. He was denied so much money for someones greedy scam. It reminds me of an episode of "The Lottery Changed My Life", the people who win are going against odds that are so astronomically small that it's amazing they all hadn't been robbed! One episode actually spoke of one man who had been robbed of one million dollars and had been told he won a mere two dollars. The clerk that stole his winnings ran off to another country and made his life there. It didn't take long for the police to catch him, with the use of technology they found him living there in no time. I find that there are honest people out there that wouldn't cheat people out of money or material possessions which is great but, with something like this happening in the same place I live makes me worry. To me the clerk should just come out and apologize to the winner when they find him and that he should be stripped of his privileges to solicit lottery tickets.

If I were in this type of situation I probably wouldn't know what to do.The first thought I would have however would be "What kind of person would do this?" It's not okay to steal and I've been brought up to remember this just like every other kid has. You wouldn't steal a toy, you wouldn't steal a car, a snack, a video game, or anything of that sorts. What I don't understand is what makes it okay for a clerk in a store ( one which I suggest he would be mad if someone stole from ) to steal from someone else. It's kind of hypocritical right?


Well, that's all the thoughts I have for this event but I hope I sparked your thoughts as well.
What would you do? Anyways thanks for reading and I hope to hear from you guys!

-Sam

2 comments:

  1. P.S. You still have the word verification function turned on. Next time we work on our blogs in class I will show you how to cancel this function.

    ReplyDelete