Working hard each and every day.

Sunday, October 17, 2010

Behind My Name



Want to find out your name meaning? Click Me!

The link above will take you to my teacher Ms.Crosbie's blog post, with the same assignment I did. You can now figure out what your name means too!

Behind My Name: As many of you know my name is Samantha, However I like the deliberative Sam more. However, since this assignment requires a full name I'll be using my full name. ( Samantha )

Before I started this assignment, I thought my name was very common with many different parents naming their baby girls, because I always hear my name on many different people. Usually girls, and sometimes boys have the name shortened to Sam. In my time, I've heard my name used many in many different ways. With a quick search over the web, I found out there's actually 24 various spellings of my name. Samanthi, Samanthia, Samatha, Samella, Symantha, Pet names, Sam, Sami, Sammi, Sammie, Sammy, aswell as a few of different origins. Samanta ( Used in French and German ) Samanthe, and Sammantha.
I think my parents chose this name for me because I must have looked like a Samantha. Besides the result that I have found on the site that I will provide soon, I knew that my name also meant graceful. Perhaps as a young infant I looked graceful and at peace.

After searching on Behind The Name, and Baby Names World, I learned that my name means Listener. This information was challenging to find at points because of the many way's my name is spelled.

Some other interesting things I learned, is that my name is most likely an English and female variation of the name 'Samuel'. As not to be confused on the meaning, it does not mean heard by God or heard of as it would be in Hebrew since Samantha is not a Hebrew name like Samuel. I found out that my name is of English decent from this( while my last name is of German.) Some famous actors also share the same name as me. The television show 'Bewitched' from the 1960s had a main character named Samantha, and in James Bond films 'Miss Moneypenny' was played by a Samantha Bond. After finding this information out I searched up my middle name. "Renee" turned out to be a Latin name meaning Reborn. It's a different form of Reneta or Renée, which are commonly used in French and English speaking countries. Renée Zellweger, an American actress shares this name.
Perhaps my name was meant to be "Listener Reborn" (along with my last name which I won't share for safety.) to show that a Listener for the future has come back from the past. At least, that's my theory!

I think my name does/does not (select one) suit me because I'm not very much of a listener. If you knew me well you would know I'm VERY talkative.So Lalage, would be a better suiting name. Or since I was never a sweetheart either, and that I was quite mischievous a name like Kahini would fit just as well.

If I could give myself a new name, it would be Branwen, because I love the ring the name has to it. It means white crow or fair crow, the same name as the daughter of Llyr in the Mabinogion.

Finally, after I did some clicking around I saw a name of a character from my book!
The book of questions being "The Misery" by Stephen King, the name of the character was Annie.Her name means grace and favour. However her character is nothing short of evil. She is very mean to the main character so I don't think her name is very fitting! I think her name should be Bera it means bear and son (daughter) of evil. She is a very cruel character so I think this fits her well. She's a well built woman and she's quite muscular so "Bear" Is a good word to describe her.

It was so cool finding out the definition and meaning of my name, it helped me discover myself a little. It shows a little bit about who you are to know what your name means.
Thanks for reading! If you have any questions feel free to ask I'll gladly answer.
-Sam

1 comment:

  1. Hello Samantha please come check out Miss p's blog she has posted the videothat we did for empathy.Im the one that's holding the thought bubble over Claire the one that's walking around.

    ReplyDelete